How often should I come back?

How often should I come back? This is undoubtedly the most asked question from clients.

When I have a client ask me that question, I try to give a specific answer to that client. Just like a person's personal history and experiences molds and shapes their personality and outlook towards life, it also shapes their body physically. There isn't a stock answer, but often clients are looking for a guideline for what is 'normal' or expected of them if they are told they need regular massage.  I understand this need. I want to know if I'm a 'special case' or if I can fit into a formula and be good to go.

There are all kinds of parameters when dealing with outcome based massage and therapeutic results. The sooner the better, but not too soon. It depends on how your body reacts to the first treatment. Your schedule. The therapists schedule. The weather. Your budget.... you get the picture.

The most important way to determine this recommendation is through communicating clearly to your therapist what your ideas are and then ASKING them how that fits in with their expectations. If you thought you were going to have to come in 3 times a week, versus their expectation of 1 time a week.

When I get someone who isn't sure about what they should do (because that massage was more intense then they expected).  I ask them to come back in as sooner; i
When it's time to come in will depend on your needs
t's easier for me to assess after I find out how their body reacts.  For example, if they experienced mild relief of symptoms, and very little adverse affects, I would possibly recommend deeper work but keep the visits spread out because they can only come in on Thursday evenings.

There isn't really a right or wrong way in the timing of appointments, just preferred and less than ideal. If you have to spread them out the results will take longer. If you can only come in 2 times a year, then your therapist may not be able to offer you long lasting and corrective pain relief, but can still provide what they can in short term relief.  I have had clients who have wanted to (and had the budget and time) to come in everyday, but I talked them out of it (I have other clients that need to be seen and they need to be able to recover), but the important thing is we talked about it and came to a timing together that worked for both of us.

As a client, if you are looking for regular massage for an injury, expect that the answer to this question will be varied. It will depend on your body chemistry, your modality preference (massage style), schedule, budget, and therapists assessment.

If you want to manage stress, that will depend mostly on you.  How much stress are you under?  A general place to start is once a month and then after doing that for 2-3 months assess whether you need/are able to shorten or lengthen the time between visits.  The wonderful thing is, it is not set in stone. You can adjust at any time—preferably with at least 24 hours notice to your therapist. ;)


Comments